World Cup 2014-Brazil

Growing up in Haiti, I was surrounded by women and men that had a lovely relationship with the game we call "football" but known as soccer here in the States. I don't fully recall the World Cup in 1994, but I was on earth and had the chance to experience the togetherness that this game brought in my neighborhood, and in the country. It was an everyday celebration and especially when Brazil was playing. Yes, Brazil is one of the teams that we enjoy watching and it doesn't have to be during the World Cup season. I came to love the way they play too, the tricks they brought on the field, the cheerful colors surrounding the stadium. Their energy traveled miles every time they played. Even when they lost, we always believed that they will come back stronger and strike harder.

When it comes to "football", it is a game that requires a lot of energy. I played for one year back in High School as a defender and trust me I did it once but told myself that I will stick to volleyball. But it was worth playing it just to have a feel of what it takes for a player to reach that top-notch list of players. I learned that it is not only about the type of team that Brazil is, but the history behind this team. I had a chance to learn about PelĂ©, who was an outstanding player with a dream/goal that strived to make it happen. 

While living in the States, I had a chance to experience three World Cups (2006, 2010, and 2014), but I have to say it doesn't feel the same. The vibe is different, the country is moving normally like nothing is happening. Everything just continues to move at its regular pace. But a few miles away from the states, on that little island call Haiti, it's again a party season where the country itself comes together to enjoy a breathtaking season. When I say party time, I'm not talking about the typical house party, I'm talking about street bands in each corner of the country, people chanting, screaming, and dancing. It is a moment full of happiness, joy, and love. Certain teams broke the record of reaching far in the season for the first time, a few teams left already, especially the ones that people were not expecting. Let's just say this World Cup is UNEXPECTED, anything can happen, that's what makes it more intriguing.

I grew up considering "football" as a family game, where you celebrate it with family, friends, and of course with food and drinks. The conversation of old folks back home was either about politics or the famous "football". I chose to speak about Brazil because this is what I grew up knowing and following around. In my eyes, they worked their asses off. But if I had to choose, I'll bring back Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, Cafu, Roberto, Carlos, Bebeto, Rivaldo and so on. They will always be my favorite players.


As they continue to strive through this season, I wish them the best. May they continue to flourish for seasons to come.


Steffi Saint-Pierre

All Right Reserved

Comments

Popular Posts